Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Serengeti

Okay, now we're in the Serengeti again. So right after we saw the alleged black mamba, we were driving and the driver saw a snake on the road. It was an Adder! That brought up our poisonous snake count up to three...if you count the black mamba that we actually did see on the way out of the park. And our guide said we wouldn't see any...Silly guide. :o) (That's a tick on it's head...gross huh?)
And now that I think about it, I don't think I told you about the first snake. It was our last day in the Masi Mara. We were driving back to our lodge and the driver slammed on his brakes and yelled, "Cobra!" Sure enough, a HUGE cobra was slithering across the road.
The Serengeti was much flatter than the Masi Mara, but it had these huge rock formations all over. You can totally see where the inspiration for Pride Rock in the Lion King came from.
I can't think of any especially unique stories from the rest of the Serengeti, so I'll just post a bunch of the pictures we got.
Our lodge was basically built into one of those rock formations I was telling you about, and there were tons of Rock Hyraxes all around the Lodge Grounds. And as a side note, the closest living relative to these small, rodent-looking creatures is the elephant. I can see it, can't you?We also had to be careful because there were vervet monkeys everywhere. If you gave them the chance, they'd run right into your room.
I have more pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet, so you'll have to wait until my next post.

No comments: