Sunday, October 04, 2009

My Heart is Full

Can I tell you, I just LOVE general conference. For those of you who aren't LDS, general conference is a series of meetings held twice a year (the first weekend in October and the first weekend in April) where the leaders of our church speak to us. It is so amazing to me to be able to hear so many inspiring talks from prophets and apostles in such a condensed amount of time. Every time I watch, I feel uplifted, edified, and have a renewed commitment to better myself.

Even though these addresses are directed at the members of our church, so many of them can be applied to anyone's life. I remember a talk from a while ago that is still very dear to me entitled Hidden Wedges. President Monson gave it (then he was a member of the first presidency, and not yet the prophet). It was about forgiveness, and letting things go. During the talk I remember feeling so good. I felt like there was nothing in my life that I was holding on to. I felt like I had no bitter or hurt feelings about anything or toward anyone. Then later that very day something happened that made me realize there was a hidden wedge in my life. If I hadn't heard that talk just that day, I don't know that I would have recognized it as a hidden wedge and something I needed to let go. Even today, when I am harboring ill feelings, I think of this talk and the destruction these ill feelings will cause me, and work hard to let them go. I have been so grateful for this council.

This conference seemed especially wonderful to me. I just felt like every talk was directed specifically at me. There were so many things that were answers to prayers and questions I had been having. I'm so grateful for inspiration from the Lord.

For my LDS friends and family that weren't able to see conference, or all of conference. Go back and read the talks that you missed. They were all so wonderful.

For my friends and family of other faiths and beliefs. This may seem like an odd request, but I would love it if you read one of the talks these great men and women gave. There are just so many wonderful things that can be gleaned from their words I think it would be a shame to only allow people of our faith to benefit from their council. You can find the talks here.

Right now you can watch or listen to the talks from the General Relief Society broadcast, which is a broadcast specifically tailored to the women of our church. In about a week you should be able to watch, listen, or read all the talks from the entire conference. I felt that Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk from the Sunday Afternoon session was especially powerful. He basically bore his testimony of Christ and the truthfulness of His gospel...a theme he seems to have been building on over the past few conferences. But feel free to browse the titles and read anything that catches your fancy. There truly are so many wonderful things that were said.

I love you all, and hope your weeks is as wonderful as mine has been already!

No comments: