Friday, March 26, 2010

Dying Easter Eggs

Next week we are heading off to my parent's house, so this week I decided to die Easter eggs with the kids...well, really with Addison. Hannah sat in her high chair playing with toys and watching. But she was there despite the lack fo pictures of her.
I actually chose to practice ahead of time with a technique new to me...blowing the eggs instead of boiling them. It worked fairly well, and I like that you can keep the eggs since there's no egg inside the shell any more. But since they aren't filled, the eggs float and you either have to stand there holding them under the water or let them fill with water...which takes a long time.
In the end, I decided to just boil the eggs I'd do with Addison. I had a lot of fun with my eggs though. I got some cool ideas here and kind of ran with them. (I have a picture of them at the end).I was thinking about showing Addison some of the techniques I learned, but it really was quite the ordeal just to get her to leave the eggs in the die long enough to color them, so I abandoned the idea. I did show her what a white crayon could do on eggs, but the results weren't very impressive. Maybe when she's four...Here are the finished eggs:And in case anyone was wondering.

4 comments:

Jenna and Daniel said...

Those are awesome! I thought you were an accountant, not an artist...isn't that Bart's job. You are making the other stay at home mom's look bad. JK. Looks like fun.

janae said...

WOA. That first picture of Addison (the second on the blog) looks SO MUCH like a Francis. I mean she could be Bart's sister. The resemblance is uncanny!

janae said...

ps. Sam once blew eggs and then filled them with plaster. The plaster was supposed to be orange, but it reacted with whatever was inside the egg and turned white and gray. They were really amazing looking. He got an A. :)

Lori said...

Glad you dyed eggs with her before you came because we may not get to it seeing that you are coming in Saturday evening before Easter. We will probably have enough to do just getting the baskets together. Can't wait until you come!