Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Saddest Thing You'll Ever See

Lilly's Splint

So it happened.  One of our kids broke their arm.  Poor little thing.

But let me tell you, Lilly is like super woman.  She was throwing a HUGE fit when she fell and, at first, we didn't even realize she was hurt. She had already been crying and the crying didn't change when she fell.  So we helped her up and took her to her room for a time out.  (I know, parent of the year award goes to us right?).  A little later, when she had calmed down, she came to the bottom of the stairs and was just sitting there whining and holding her arm to her chest.  It was seriously so sad.

_MG_1250 copy

This was just before dinner, so we decided to watch to see if she used it at all during dinner.  When she didn't we called the doctor.  By then it was after office hours, and they couldn't get us in until 8:00.

_MG_1260 copy

The after hours doctor was prodding and pushing on her wrist to see if anything was broken and she seriously didn't even flinch!!!  He sent us to the hospital for X-rays, and let me tell you, it was REALLY broken!  I am no doctor, but even I could tell it was broken!  I don't know how she wasn't screaming while he was poking at her arm.  Poor little thing!

Isn't her in that little splint the saddest thing you've ever seen!  Maybe it's just because I'm her mom, but every time I saw her in it I just wanted to cry!!!  (Not to mention how stressful it was to have my VERY active two-year-old running around seemingly oblivious to her injury).  Every time she ran into the corner of our couch or slipped on the kitchen tiles, I nearly had a heart attack! 

Much to my relief,  this flimsy little splint has been replaced by a very sturdy, strong, protective, and (hopefully) two-year-old proof cast.  I do realize that casts aren't completely indestructible, but I think it can probably deal with anything Lilly can dish out.  :)  And now my heart only skips one beat as she runs down the hall and falls or when she wrestles around with her sisters on the floor.  I feel like my little Lil is back to her happy, smiley, active self.  And if all goes well, she'll get her bright purple cast off on her Birthday. 

No comments: