Friday, March 01, 2013

Food Photography

When my dad was growing up on the farm, every year on your birthday you got to choose what was for dinner.  You could have anything you wanted.  Anything.  One year, when it was my dad's birthday, my aunt was really excited.  She knew they would have a good dinner that night.  (Birthday dinners were always good).  But when my grandmother asked my dad what he wanted for dinner, he responded, "Bread and milk."  Yep.  Bread and milk.  Of all of the foods in the world that he could have, he chose bread and milk.  My aunt still gets worked up whenever she talks about it.

Homemade

As funny as having bread and milk for dinner may sound, I have to confess...it's one of my favorite meals too.  But only when it's homemade bread.

My mom has a bread recipe from her mom that my siblings and I absolutely LOVE.  In fact, my three siblings who are still in college each have a Bosch (purchased solely for the purpose of making this bread) and ALL semi-regularly make it!  Seriously, we love it that much.  :)  And since this month's blog circle theme is food photography, I thought I'd share not only some pictures of the bread, but the recipe as well.

Grandma Timms' Wheat Bread

1/2 c warm water
2 Tbsp yeast (sprinkle yeast on to water, set aside)

2 Tbsp salt
1/2 c oil
1/2 c honey
4 large eggs
1 can evaporated milk
2 c warm water
1/2 c apple sauce
8 c wheat flour
4 c white flour


Mix all ingredients except yeast mixture and flower in the bowl of a Bosch fitted with the dough hook.  To the mixture add 2 C of flour at a time, mixing well in between.  After you've added 1/3 of the flour, add the yeast mixture.  Continue adding the flour beating it well.  Add just enough flour to make the dough slightly come away from the bowl (too much flour makes the bread dry and coarse).  Knead 10 min in Bosch bowl or by hand.   Let the dough rise in bowl until it is 1 inch above the bowl, punch down.  Shape into 4 loaves and put into 4 bread pans that have been greased and floured.  Let rise slightly above pan.  Bake two loaves at a time at 375°f  for 25-30 minutes. 

Enjoy!

If you feel up to it, you can whip up some homemade jam to have with it too!  It's heavenly, and makes a great little gift to pass on to a neighbor or friend.

Homemade

Now go check out Stacey's blog to see what she came up with this month. 

5 comments:

Jen R said...

I love good bread and this just looks amazing. Excellent job with the food photography this month, I can practically smell warm bread.

chris said...

Can I make this with my Kitchen Aid?

Rebecca said...

I've never tried it, but I don't see any reason why not. As long as you have a dough hook.

Anonymous said...

I love homemade bread -- I just may have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I love your use of props here. Very well done!

Stacey said...

Love the picture, all the different textures, the lighting, it's awesome! And I LOVE bread :)