Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Memorial Day

<span class=

I love memorial day. I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea why we celebrated memorial day until I was in college. I like to think that if I ever took the time to stop and think about it, I would have figured it out, but to me, memorial day meant a day off from school (yes, in California we were always still in school) and a wonderful picnic breakfast up in the mountains with families from our church.

It was a fun (and memorable) way to celebrate, but now that I know what it's for, I feel a reverence for the day that I never felt before. And since we were in Moab, we got to go and visit Bart's dad's grave for the first time since they got the headstone.

The headstone is beautiful. It's made of red stone, and has the temple Zeke and Maralee were married in on the front of it. It's just perfect for Zeke. The family history buff in me also likes how it has the names of all of his kids on back.

Bart took the girls up on the family's property before we went to the cemetery to collect flowers to put on the grave.

<span class=

<span class=

It was slightly warm with a gentle, cool breeze, almost as if the weather itself wanted to show the proper reverence for those who had gone before us, and left this world for the next.

It just felt right being there with family.

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

We also got to visit the graves of a few other family members buried in the Cemetery.

<span class=

<span class=

The cemetery had a beautiful memorial for all the veterans.

<span class=

We were able to find Zeke's cross and flag.

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

Overall, it was a beautiful Memorial Day.

<span class=

No comments: