Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Doctors, Doctors, Doctors, and More Doctors.

So the week before last week was FULL of doctors!!!

First of all we had Addison's one-year appointment. She dropped from the 97th percentile in height to the 87th, and from the 80th percentile in weight to the 68th since her last appointment. I asked the doctor if that was bad and he said it was pretty normal. As they get more active, they tend to lose weight...which is good. As he puts it, "You don't want them looking like the Michelin Man all their lives. :) Everything looks great. She has great muscle tone, is about to walk, and babbles in her own little language.

Which reminds me...I can't remember if I already posted this or not, but Addison LOVES talking to herself now. She is always babbling away. The other day I let her play in her nursery. Next to the rocking chair, we have a pile of books we read to her. She crawled over to it, pulled out a book, and babbled away while she turned the pages. It was so cute!!!

The day after Addison's Doctor's appointment, I had a doctor's appointment. For the past few weeks I've been having sort of a hard time breathing and my lungs hurt. It will be really bad for a few days, then I'll be perfectly fine for a few days. When it first started I thought I was just getting a cold...but the cold never came. Finally it annoyed me so much that I listened to Bart's nagging me to see a doctor. Well, the doctor couldn't hear any asthma or bronchitis, so she was worried that I might have some blood clots that moved to my lungs. She had me take some X-rays, then sent me to the hospital to get a V-Q Scan "to rule out pulmonary embolism" and to get some blood work done. I had to call my boss and tell him I wasn't going to be able to make it to work because I had to get all these tests done.
Nothing came up, so they sent me home. The next day (Friday) I felt considerably better. While I was getting ready to go to work, I realized we hadn't taken the car seat out of the car after we got home from the hospital, so Bart had taken it with him to work that day. I called my boss and explained to him that I didn't have a car seat, and told him I didn't have much to do that day. He said, "You've been through enough this week, go ahead and take the day off, and have a good weekend."

It was about half an hour into thoroughly enjoying my day off when my doctor called again and informed me she had scheduled a CAT scan for me at 4:30. Feeling perfectly fine, I really didn't want to have to go back to the hospital and get poked some more. I said, "I normally work at that time, can I schedule it for another day?" They said no, and offered to write a note to my work. I told them it wasn't necessary, hung up, and called Bart to tell him he had to be home by 4:15 so that I could go to the hospital again.

Once again the results were normal. And I went home not knowing what was wrong with me, but not caring too much because I was feeling fine.

All of Saturday I felt fine too, but then Sunday while I was at church, it came back. I was running around after Addison which only made it worse. Monday was just as bad, and I was about to call my doctor again when they called me at work and informed me they had made an appointment for me with a pulmonologist.

When I got there they had me do a breathing test before I saw him. Three hours and a million questions later, He told me he thought I had asthma onset acute bronchitis. But he said he didn't think I actually had asthma because nobody in my family has asthma, and I've never had any symptoms before. He just said my lungs were acting like they had asthma and that that may have caused the acute bronchitis. He also said it may have been acid reflux disease. I have never had heart burn...well, at least not what you would normally think of as heartburn...except when I was pregnant, but he said a lot of times it can feel like pressure in the top of your chest and throat. SO anyway, he gave me these pills for the acid reflux, an inhaled steroid for the asthma, and an antibiotic for the bronchitis. He said to take the pill and the steroid first and see if I felt better in a couple days. If I didn't I could start taking the antibiotic.

Well, Monday night Addison slept through the night until like 5:00 a.m. at which point I went and gave her a bottle. She fell back asleep, and slept until 8:00. Hallelujah!!! I felt GREAT when I woke up. Since then I've been pretty good. I still can feel it coming back a little at the end of the day usually, but I'm glad to finally know what the heck is wrong with me!

Bart is doing well...other than worrying about me. He had parent-teacher conferences this week which made for some VERY long days. But other than that everything is going pretty well.
Addison has also started getting very demanding, and very cuddly. She used to play on her own for quite a while, but now she hardly plays for two minutes without wanting me to play with her. When I do sit down and play with her though she will crawl up on me, and lay her head on my shoulder, or she'll crawl onto my lap, turn around and just lay back on me. It's SOOOOOOOOOO cute!!! She'll also lay down on our laundry when I am folding it. She loves climbing into the laundry basket and throwing all the clothes out too.

She has also finally mastered the kiss. If you say, "Addison, Kisses," She will either jut out her chin at you and wait until you give her a kiss, or open her mouth wide and plant a big wet one on your mouth. Those ones make for some wet kisses, but it is dang cute!!!

She is eating really well. We have transferred her...for the most part...from formula to milk. She loves eating whatever I am eating. Yesterday I had a tomato, onion, feta Greek salad. I was eating it on a chair in our living room, and she crawled over to me, climbed up, and opened her mouth like, "Give me some mom!" I thought for sure she wouldn't like it, but she LOVED it! She will hardly eat three bites of baby food now, but she'll eat just about anything that I'm eating.

Well...that's pretty much it for now...Oh wait!!! I forgot. A few weeks ago we went to Moab to visit with Bart's uncle and aunt who were in town. Addison LOVED Bart's aunt. And once again, she fell asleep while grandma was rocking her. I don't know how she does it! :o)

1 comment:

Maylin said...

I'm glad you're healthy and I'm sure that little girl of yours is glad too. She is so sweet.